Saturday 7 June 2008

Sandra Betzina - Today's Fit - Jacket - Vogue 8043



I absolutely love this jacket. It fits perfect. (I pretty much always make bound buttons on jackets. This time I took pictures when making them and will post as a different entry.)

Pattern Description: Semi-fitted,fully interfaced,lined jacket has princess seams, shoulder pads, welt pockets,front button closure and long two piece sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: A/32- B/34-C/36. I initially did my muslin for size C/36, but it was too big. I made the B/34.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It looked exactly like the picture on the pattern.

Were the instructions easy to follow? It is a very straight forward, well written and laid out pattern. Sandra Betzina gives allot of tips on fitting and placement for plaids. Her instructions are very easy to follow. (There are allot of instructions on different fitting issues, it's a matter of picking what pertains to you)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the style! I like everything about the pattern. The fit, the instructions, the fact that I didn't make "any" fit alterations and that all went together very easy.

Fabric Used: I used a black and white boucle. Black Bemberg Lining. I also interfaced the whole jacket.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made no fitting alterations to this pattern. Design changes I made: I love bound buttonholes so that's what I made instead of the normal machine stitched button holes. I also added cording around the collar. I did not totally "bag" the lining. I sewed it by machine but didn't sew the bottom as instructed. I finished the lining hem with a decorative stitch and then sewed it by hand to the jacket hem.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I will sew this again. But I think next time it will be with a plain fabric -no matching lines :) Cutting the pieces single layer, making sure everything matches, pockets/body/sleeves- takes much longer. Also more care has to be taken when sewing pieces together. I don't mind doing all this, I do truly like the end result, it was worth all the time and effort. (There maybe the odd line that doesn't totally match up :) but overall I am pleased.) I would highly recommend this pattern.




















Conclusion:I really like the fit and look of this jacket. I brought this jacket to work to show my friend and she, and all my co-workers, loved the jacket. I received allot of compliments. One of the guys from another office wants me to make one for his wife - as a Christmas gift. I was pretty pleased with the response :)



I will take pictures of the inside of the jacket and add them to this post tomorrow.


Top Pocket Detail





20 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

Gorgeous jacket!! I was disappointed when I looked up the pattern and saw it was OOP ... until I looked at my own pattern list and realized I have it.

Leslie said...

Wonderful jacket! I'm so impressed with it and I think it looks better than the examples on the pattern. Thanks for sharing and I'm so happy to have found your blog!

Liana said...

JUst beautiful, Ann! Every detail looks just perfect, and it makes it sparkle as a whole. Great job!

Vicki said...

Ann, it is just beautiful!! You have done so well with all that matching. Very, very classy.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Ann .- I agree with their friends, I too am an admirer of this jacket. I like all of it, but I love the shape of the shoulders "very mild" and detailed edging on the neck. in general is a perfect job, really. you enjoy. greetings. Paco

Alexandra said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love your use of trim and the piped collar.

kbenco said...

Your jacket looks just fabulous. I was so impressed with your plaid matching when you first showed some work on this, and it has continued! There is so much work on this jacket and it really shows.

Summerset said...

Wow! Just fabulous!

Tany said...

Ann, what a masterpiece! I'm in awe with this jacket, it's perfect! I love the fabric and I can see you matched it perfectly! The details are exquisite! VERY well done!!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Ann the jacket is simply stunning and all of your hard work is reflected in the final outcome!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous jacket, you did a fantastic job.

Diane E said...

Ann, this is an absolutely gorgeous jacket. Years ago, my boss flew to Paris to come back with jackets like this; yours is more beautiful (and of course, more modern!) than anything she brought home. Amazing work! Thanks for mega-inspiration.

Linda said...

I had to join everybody else in saying you jacket is stunning. The style and fabric are TDF!

a little sewing said...

Your jacket is such a fine piece of work. Enjoy wearing it!

Mon Café Couture said...

Ann I am impressed, I admire the sense of the detail on this jacket - matching needs more time, but then wearing a piece that took so much energy and time is much more pleasant.

Omega said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your jacket! It is beautiful and your workmanship is awesome. I enjoyed browsing you work. Very encouraging, Thanks for sharing.
Omega

Sheila said...

One word - Outstanding Garment!! ok.. its two words.

Marie-Noëlle said...

Ann,
I was not following your blog when you 1st release this post.
Thanks for it, your craftsmanship is so inspirative and I am glad I read it before cutting the fabric for my Chanel jacket.
Single layer, that's what I intend to do.
I must say that matching the pattern
of the sleeve with the bodice is very challenging for me and I tooch wood to master this part.

Megan A said...

Wonderful, wonderful jacket! I hadn't been following your blog either but I have a Google Alert set for 'Sandra Betzina' and Maricou's post brought your blog up on my email alert. I am just dazzled by your results!

Anonymous said...

I would love to get hold of this pattern... any suggestions?
Julieanne